Successful trial lawyer with 30 years experience as prosecutor, defense attorney, teacher and criminal justice activist
- Attorney-at-Law: Soldati Law Offices, Somersworth and Portsmouth, New Hampshire 2009-present.
- Attorney–at–Law: Jeffco, Starbranch, & Soldati, Portsmouth New Hampshire, 2000-2009.
- Partner in firm engaged exclusively in statewide criminal defense practice.
- Handling cases from DWI to rape, robbery, and child pornography, in all courts: local, State and Federal.
- Addressing all aspects of case management, from preliminary hearings through trials and appeals.
- Personally managing and servicing all computer systems for the firm.
- Strafford County Attorney: Strafford County, Dover, New Hampshire, 1983‑2000.
- Primary responsibility for most major felony prosecutions in Strafford County.
- Managed professional/support staff and budget for New Hampshire's fourth largest county.
- Carried full felony caseload, specializing in child abuse and sexual assault cases.
- Established Strafford County's first victim assistance program.
- Implemented a career criminal prosecution program.
- Created a full‑time drug prosecutor position.
- Installed the first prosecution management support system in New Hampshire.
- Served as legal advisor to Strafford County and its officials.
- Secured numerous federal grants to lessen the impact on county taxes.
- Attorney-at-Law: Private practice, Dover, New Hampshire, 1982.
- Concentrated in criminal defense, civil litigation, and domestic relations law.
- Associate Attorney: Nadeau Professional Association, Dover, New Hampshire, 1980‑1981.
- Concentrated in personal injury, insurance defense, civil litigation, criminal defense, domestic relations law.
- Attorney-at-Law: Private practice, Concord, New Hampshire, 1979‑1980.
- Concentrated in criminal defense, civil litigation, contracts, estates, and domestic relations law.
- Associate Professor: Business Law II, New Hampshire Technical Institute, Concord, New Hampshire, 1979.
- Corrections Field Representative: Police Standards and Training Council, Concord, New Hampshire, 1978‑1979.
- Administered criminal justice training programs for probation, parole and correctional officers.
- Program director for Police Prosecutors’ School.
- Editor: Probable Cause, quarterly publication for the criminal justice community.
- Investigator: New Hampshire Public Defender's Office, Concord, New Hampshire, 1975-1977.
- Juris Doctor, Franklin Pierce Law Center, Concord, New Hampshire, 1977.
- Bachelor of Arts, University of Notre Dame, Notre Dame, Indiana, 1974. Major: English.
- St. Thomas Aquinas High School, Dover, New Hampshire, 1967.
- United States Army, Honorable Discharge, 1969‑1971.
- Member, New Hampshire and Federal Bar, 1978‑present.
- Member, New Hampshire Criminal Defense Lawyers Association, 2002-present.
- National District Attorney's Association, 1983‑2000.
- New Hampshire County Prosecutor's Association, 1985‑1996. President, 1990‑1991.
- Rules of Criminal Procedure Committee and Editorial Board, NH Bar Association, 1988‑1996.
- Attorney General's Task Force on Child Abuse and Neglect, 1990‑2000.
- Governor's Task Force on Domestic Violence, protocol subcommittee, 1992‑2000.
- Charles C. Dow, Inns of Court, master, September 1994 ‑1996.
- Attorney General's Task Force on Sexual Assault, 1988‑1989.
- Community Advisory Board, Sexual Abuse Treatment Program, Strafford Guidance Center, 1985‑1987.
- Combined Law Enforcement Legislative Committee, New Hampshire Police Association, 1987.
- New Hampshire Trial Lawyers Association, 1980‑1987.
- Trial Advocacy Faculty, Continuing Legal Education Program, NH Bar Association, 1986‑1987.
- Cofounder, Strafford Regional Child Abuse Association, 1985‑1986.
LECTURES/ TRAINING/ PRESENTATIONS
- "State v. Jack Spratt ‑ Mock Sentencing Hearing," NH Superior Court Judges' Education Conference, 1992.
- "Reciprocal Discovery in Criminal Cases," NH District and Municipal Judges Association Conference, 1990.
- "Trial Issues in Sexual Assault Prosecutions; Use of Experts in Sexual Assault Prosecutions; Ethical Issues in Sexual Assault Prosecutions," mandatory CLE training for all State prosecutors, May 17‑18, 1995.
- "Sexual Assault Prosecutions," training for newly elected County Attorneys, 1994.
- "The Prosecution of Sexual Assault and Child Abuse Cases," Attorney General's Training for newly elected County Attorneys, 1992.
- "Politics in Office, or the Use, Abuse and Limits of Power," Attorney General's Training Conference for newly elected County Attorneys, 1992.
- “Discovery Issues in Criminal Cases” NH Bar Association, 2005, 2007.
- Taught “Expert Witness in Domestic Violence Cases” and “Dynamics of Sexual Assault in Domestic Violence Cases” Governors’ Council on Domestic Violence, Manchester, 1999.
- Taught “Issues in Sexual Assault Prosecutions” NH Attorney General’s Domestic Violence Conference, Nashua, 1997.
- "The Criminal Justice System ‑ A Prosecutor's View," RedJacketIII, Bench and Bar Conference for NH Bar Association, 1987.
- "Closing Statements," Trial Advocacy Course, NH Bar Association, 1987.
- "Direct Examination and Evidence," Trial Advocacy Course, NH Bar Association, 1986.
- "Constitutional Law," "The Criminal Justice System," "Testifying in Court," NH Police Academy, 1978‑1983.
- "Evidence," "Trial Preparation and Tactics," "Criminal Procedure," New Hampshire Police Prosecutors School, 1978‑1983.
Training Medical Personnel
- Taught “Prosecution of Sexual Assault” Tufts School of Medicine, Providence, Rhode Island, 1998.
Training Rape Counselors
- "Sexual Assault," training for rape crisis counselors for Sexual Assault Support Services, 1985‑1998.
- "Sexual Assault," training for rape crisis counselors for Sexual Harassment and Rape Prevention Program (SHARP), University of New Hampshire, 1986‑present.
Instructing College and High School Students
- Guest lecturer, Criminal Justice classes, University of New Hampshire
- "When Sex Becomes a Crime ‑ Mock Trial and Discussion," University of New Hampshire, 1991.
- "Sexual Assault- Prejudice and Prosecution," for Justice Studies Program, University of New Hampshire, 1988‑1991.
- "Date Rape - Mock Sentencing Hearing," University of New Hampshire, 1990.
- "Date Rape - A Mock Trial," University of New Hampshire, 1989.
- "Alcohol, Drugs, and Rape - On Campus," Freshman Orientation, University of New Hampshire, 1989.
- "New Hampshire Court System," "New Hampshire Constitution," Dover High School, 1986.
- Presentation “Abolishing the Death Penalty” Lakes Region Christian Church, 1997.
- Panelist, “Art of Discovery for New Hampshire Litigators,” specifically spoke on “Discovery in Criminal Cases” for New Hampshire Bar Association Continuing Legal Education, Concord, 2001, and Manchester, 2005.
- "Debtor's Prison Redux -- A Return to the 19th Century," The Wire , February 2009.
- Testified over 30 year period before several New Hampshire Senate and House committees on a variety of issues concerning the criminal justice system, including: victim's rights and compensation, child protection, reciprocal discovery, juvenile justice, legal limits for DWI, the Bail Reform Act, competency and commitment procedures, expanding wiretap use in drug cases, expansion of the death penalty. 1983‑present
- Testified twice before the New Hampshire House Judiciary Committee against the death penalty. 1996-present.
- As a member of the Attorney General’s Task Force on Sexual Assault, authored several sections - and testified in support of - legislation for major changes in the sexual assault statutes of the New Hampshire Revised Statutes Annotated. Legislation enacted 1992, 1993, 1994.
- As vice‑chair for Committee to Study Laws Relative to Criminal Depositions, co-authored legislation enacted 1991.
- As a member of the Attorney General’s Child Abuse and Neglect Task Force, authored the prosecution section of the statewide protocol for the prosecution of child abuse and neglect cases, 1989 – 1996.
- As member of the Protocol sub-committee of the Governor’s Commission on Domestic Violence, authored the domestic violence prosecution protocol, 1995.
- Contributor to Final Report, Governor's Task Force to Prevent Impaired Driving. Specifically authored "Overview of DWI Negotiated Plea Guidelines" and “Proposal for Elimination of Trial De Novo," 1990.
- As member of the Attorney General's Task Force on Sexual Assault, assisted in the design and implementation of the first statewide protocol for rape cases. The product of this task force has received national recognition and the rape kit developed has become a model for the entire country. 1988‑1989.
- Assisted in developing Senate Bill 320‑FN on Competency in Court Ordered Commitments of Pre‑trial Detainees. Legislation enacted 1989.
- Initiated legislation to transfer cost of rape examination kit from the victim to the state. Legislation enacted 1988.
- "Domestic Violence," One On One, Continental Cablevision, March 1995.
- "Domestic Violence," Newsmakers, WZNN Radio, 199 1.
- "President Bush's National Drug Control Strategy," WMUR‑TV weekly news review, 1989.
- "Drug Testing in the Work Place," WMUR‑TV weekly news review, 1988.
Dr. Roger M. Fossum Award
- For outstanding dedication and service on behalf of New Hampshire’s children and families, 1996.